Friday, September 4, 2015

Modern versions corrupt Galatians 2:20

Galatians 2:20 is one of my favorite verses in Scripture. It clearly states that all believers are crucified with Christ, that we died with Him. It is a great verse on the eternal security of the believer. What if a believer (saved person) became divisive, abusing the Lord's supper, lived in the worst type of fornication, went to law against fellow saints, and quit believing in the resurrection of Christ...would that Christian go to hell? No he would not. Why not? Because that believer is crucified with Christ. That believer is crucified, buried, risen, and seated with Christ (Rom. 6:3-11, Eph. 2:6). A believer is crucified with Christ, when God the Father looks at a believer He sees a member of Christ's own Body (Eph. 1:22-23, 3:6, 5:22-32, 1 Cor. 6:15-17, 12:12-18). The Father sees believers as dead, nailed to the cross. Because we are in Christ, we are crucified and our sins have been paid for. How could someone be condemned for their sins if they are crucified? They couldn't. The crucifixion was God's judgment on sin, for which we partake of in Christ. In the present tense, we are crucified/buried/risen/seated with Christ.

Colossians 2:
[10] And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
[11] In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
[12] Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead
.

Ephesians 2:
[4] But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
[5] Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
[6] And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus


We are (present tense) crucified with Christ. We are (present tense) dead to sin and have a new life in Christ. This was not something that happened one time and then that was it. No, this is a present tense continual truth. The moment we believed the Gospel of Christ, we did not get 'crucified' once and then become required to walk on the basis of that from that moment on. Being crucified with Christ is a present tense spiritual blessing that continually keeps us removed from the filth of the flesh spiritually (Col. 2:11). Any sins we commit are not done in our spiritual standing in Christ (Rom. 4:8-9, 1 John 3:9) only in the physical flesh that we possess until the rapture (Phil. 3:20-21, Rom. 8:23-24).

However, modern versions have corrupted the word of God in Galatians 2:20. These perversions have changed being "crucified with Christ" (present tense) to "have been crucified" (past tense).   

King James Bible
Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

NASB
Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

MEV
Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. 

NIV
Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.  

NKJV
Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. 

ESV
Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Note: These modern versions have also changed justification by the faith OF Christ to faith IN Christ, but I have made posts about that before. The Bible teaches that believers under Grace are justified by Christ's faith when we put our faith in Christ. We are kept saved by the faith of Christ, not our own faith. Romans 3:22 says "Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ (Christ's faith) unto all and upon all them that believe (our faith)". This truth is taught in Rom. 3:22, Gal. 2:16, 2:22, 3:22, Eph. 3:12, Phil. 3:9. 2 Timothy 2:11-13 teaches this truth plainly, "It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him: If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself." Modern versions change all of Rom. 3:22, Gal. 2:16, 2:22, 3:22, Eph. 3:12, Phil. 3:9 to teach that salvation, security, and justification are all based on our faith rather than our faith plus the faith of Christ. 

--Eli Caldwell  

2 comments:

  1. The phrase "I am crucified" in the Greek Received Text: συσταυρόω systauroō

    Tense: Perfect
    Voice: Passive
    Mood: Indicative

    The perfect tense in Greek corresponds to the perfect tense in English, and describes an action which is viewed as having been completed in the past, once and for all, not needing to be repeated.

    It is not in the present tense as you state. You cannot use the KJV to "prove" another version is corrupt. You have to use the copies of the original manuscripts, which are available. Not arguing against what you've said concerning the reality of our co-crucifixion, just affirming what the Greek text actually says. And the Greek is in the Perfect tense which is a lot stronger in its claim than using a present tense. We were crucified with Christ and that crucifixion is a reality today that breaks the power of sin in the believers life and places us out of the 1st Adam and into the Last Adam, but it doesn't stop there, the Last Adam places Himself in the believer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you know that you have copies of the original manuscripts? Just curious. Have a good weekend!
    --Eli "Hoss" Caldwell

    ReplyDelete

Your questions or comments welcome.