Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Correspondence--between Hoss and a COC evangelist (Part 1)

Here is my correspondence with a COC evangelist. The blue font is the "Church of Christ" and the black arial is my response. --Eli Caldwell

​Mr. Erhardt,

I received the books you sent me and I thank you very much. I have just finished reading them through completely.

The book called "Contend" was interesting. Did you think that Mr. Grider was a little bit arrogant?

He says on page 61,

"Can you name one thing I did in becoming a member of the church of Christ that was not done at Pentecost? On the other hand, can you name one thing that they did that I did not do? Can you cite one single place where I go beyond the word of God in my preaching and  in my practice? Can you cite a single place where I stop short of the word of God in my preaching and in my practice?....Now my friends, the answer to all of these thus propounded questions must be answered in the negative."

Did I take that the wrong way, or did Mr. Grider really believe that he never departed from the word of God in preaching or in practice? Wouldn't that make him infallible?

Not even the apostle Paul claimed infallibility, Philippians 3:13-14
"Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."

I assume since Mr. Grider said that he did everything in "becoming a member of the church of Christ" that was done at Pentecost, do you know if he sold his possessions and goods?

Acts 2:44-45 And all that believed were together, and had all things common; And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.

Isn't that one of Christ's and the apostles teachings? Wasn't that required to enter into the kingdom of heaven and have eternal life?

I do not mean to accuse folks, but then again saying that you do not come short of the word of God in preaching or in practice is a mighty big claim.

Thank you for your time,
--Eli Caldwell
____________________________________________________________________
Hello again,

   I think you missed Gridet's point. He was simply talking about the truth we proclaim and practice. To his knowledge, there was no error in it. Obviously, he fell short of the truth from time to timely his personal life.

   I can show you example after example of Baptist Church error, from its designation to its organizational structure to its plan of salvation, etc. Can you show me one example among faithful churches of Christ?

   I hope you won't let your perceived "arrogance" on the part of Grider overshadow what he taught in the book. He taught the truth!

_______________________________________________________________________
Thank you for the reply.

As far as your question about the one example of "error" in the COC:

1.) Mr. Grider said that he baptized a man into Christ. I found that disturbing since the Bible says that you get baptized into Christ "by one Spirit" "through the faith of the operation of God" (1 Cor. 12:13, Col. 2:12). 1 Corinthians 12:13+18 says "For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.....But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him. " If Mr. Grider really did baptize someone into Christ, then he would have to have been God Himself. Baptism into Christ makes a believer "joined to the Lord" and "one spirit" with Him, it is part of the "unity of the Spirit" (1 Cor. 6:15-17, Eph. 4:1-6). It is not a physical thing or an operation of man.

2.) I read in one of the books that the "washed/washing" in 1 Corinthians 6:11 and Titus 3:5 are supposedly water baptism--though it is nowhere in the context of either passage. Both of those washings are said to be "by the Spirit of our God/of the Holy Ghost" and not by man. The washing in Titus 3:5 is plainly said to be "of regeneration" and not of water.

3.) One of the books said that Cornelious in Acts 10 was not saved when he was baptized with the Holy Ghost, but nobody that has the Holy Ghost is lost...."For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God." (Rom. 8:14)

4.) The Bible plainly says that Christ revealed the gospel of the grace of God to Paul (Gal. 1:11-12) and that Christ sent Paul to communicate that gospel to the other apostles (Gal. 2:2). Gal. 1:11-12 "But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ." Gal. 2:1-2 "Then fourteen years after I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and took Titus with me also. And I went up by revelation, and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to them which were of reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain." Gal. 2:7-8 "But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter; (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)"

5.) If the COC claims to follow the "gospel of the kingdom" taught by Jesus and the apostles, why do they not have all things common? If the COC does not obey the verses (attached) that command it for salvation, ain't that just pick'n and choosen' what you follow from the earthly ministry of Christ and 12 apostles? Christ commanded selling all more times than He did water baptism. Those that repented and believed the gospel of the kingdom at Pentecost "were baptized" and "had all things common". Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

6.) I get the impression that COC really loves the name "church of Christ" and does not think much of other names for churches (tell me if I'm wrong). However, I don't think the term "church of Christ" is ever used in the Bible. Just "churches of Christ". But "churches of Asia" is also used (1 Cor. 16:19). Wouldn't "church of Asia" be just as scriptural as "church of Christ"?  There is a denomination called the "church of God", that is used in the Bible a few times also. I'm just saying that I don't see where the name of a church, whether it be "church of Christ", "Grace Bible Church", or "Baptist", etc. I don't think the name is a big deal.

That is enough for now. I am not trying to offend you by saying that those are errors with the COC, but I had to answer your question honestly. I tried to give my objections based on what the Bible says alone, without any interpretation or twisting them.

Thank you for your time. --Eli

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your questions or comments welcome.