Thursday, January 1, 2015

Why I believe the Body of Christ began with Paul.

The subject of when did the present church begin is a highly debated topic. But what does the Bible say about the matter?

Israel in the Old Testament was a church (Acts 7:38)

David prophesied of there being New Testament church made up of Christ's "brethren", "all ye the seed of Jacob", and "all ye the seed of Israel" in Psalms 22:22-23. (referred to as a "church" Hebrews 2:11-12) This is the church that the believers in Acts 2 were "added to" (Acts 2:47). This church of prophecy is the one Paul persecuted (1 Cor. 15:9, Gal. 1:13) and it is the one that Christ promised to build (Matt. 16:18).

There are local churches, such as "the church of God which is at Corinth" (1 Cor. 1:2).

Then there is the church which is Christ's body, an assembly that is "one spirit" with Lord in spiritual unity through the baptism by the Holy Spirit (Eph. 1:22-23, 1 Cor. 6:15-17, 12:12-14). This church is assembled in heavenly places in Christ (Eph. 1:3, 2:6) and those in it are considered "members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones" (Eph. 4:16, 5:30). Therefore these members have been crucified, buried, risen, and seated with Him (1 Cor. 12:13, Gal. 3:26-28, Rom. 6:3-4, Col. 2:10-14, Eph. 2:6, Gal. 2:16-21). These members have eternal security by Christ's faithfulness and refusal to deny Himself (2 Tim. 2:11-13, Eph. 3:12, Gal. 2:16-21, Rom. 3:22). These members are "complete" in their spiritual standing and cannot be made perfect  by the flesh (Col. 2:10, Gal. 3:1-3). This church of believers spiritually joined to the Lord and being neither Jew nor Gentile was a mystery hid in God until revealed to Paul (Eph. 3:1-9, Eph. 5:23-32, Col. 1:24-28). 

The question is, when did the church which is Christ's body begin? Some would immediately suggest the cross because Ephesians 2:16 says "And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross". But note that it does not say that it started "at" the cross, it just says "by" the cross and that "he might". It takes the work of the Holy Spirit to put someone into the body of Christ (1 Cor. 12:13, Col. 2:12) and He did not come until Pentecost in Acts 2 (John 7:39, 16:7-14). Therefore a lot of people would suggest Acts 2 as the beginning of the Body of Christ, but note that the baptism being done in Acts 2 is not the baptism by the Spirit into Christ (1 Cor. 12:13), it is the baptism with the Spirit done by Christ (Matt. 3:11).

​It is important to note that being "baptized with the Holy Ghost" (Matt. 3:11) is done by Christ in order for the recipient to have POWER for signs such as tongues/prophecy/healing according to Acts 1:8, 2:1-6. This baptism with the Holy Ghost onto a person by Christ is according to prophecy (Joel 2, Acts 2:16-21). This, or something similar to it, occurred in the Old Testament many times (Judges 3:10, 6:34, 11:29, 13:25, 14:6, 14:19, 15:14, 1 Samuel 10:6-10, 11:6, etc.) but it was not permanent in the OT (1 Sam. 16:14, Ps. 51:11). 

Therefore a baptism done "BY" the Holy Spirit WITH a believer "INTO" Christ is different than a baptism done "BY" Christ "WITH" the Holy Spirit ONTO a person. The baptism with the Holy Ghost was a prophesied event (Joel 2, Ezekiel 36, Jeremiah 31-32, etc.) so it could not be the baptism that puts people into the Body of Christ--since that was a mystery.

But did the Body of Christ begin with Paul? Romans 16:7 and John 17 cause most people to believe that it did not begin with Paul. Here is a post I did on those verses awhile back:

"​John 17:6-26 has often been used as a proof text for crossers and 2ers to prove that folks were "in Christ" after the cross and that it did not begin with Paul. However, that is a straw man argument. Nobody ever said that people were not "in Christ" at Acts 2 or at the cross. People were "in Christ" during the gospels.

I do not believe that the people that use John 17 as their proof text really know what being "in Christ" means. Christ defines the term in John 6:56-57.

John 6:
[56] He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.
[57] As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me
.

In John 6 Christ likens living in obedience to Him as "eating" His flesh and "drinking" His blood (living by Him). Just as Christ lived in total obedience to the Father, even so His disciples should live by Him. When a person does this, they are in Christ (v.56). Christ disciples separated themselves from the world and became followers of Christ. They were living by His words and obeying His teaching....they were "in Christ" according to the definition.

This is plainer stated in 1 John 3:24....

1 John 3:24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Christ taught on this in John 15, but instead of likening Himself to meat and drink, He likens Himself to a vine.

John 15:
[1] I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
[2] Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
[3] Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
[4] Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
[5] I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
[6] If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned
.

This teaching of being "in Christ" is about sanctification--which just so happens to be one of the subjects that Christ mentions in John 17.

John 17:
[6] I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.
[7] Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee.
[8] For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me.
[9] I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.
[10] And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them.
[11] And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
[12] While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.
[13] And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves.
[14] I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
[15] I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.
[16] They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
[17] Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
[18] As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.
[19] And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.
[20] Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
[21] That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
[22] And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
[23] I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.
[24] Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.
[25] O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me.
[26] And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them
.

John 17 is not about Christ reconciling all Jews and Gentiles into one body by the cross! Christ isn't even praying for the world, He is praying for His disciples that they will have a good testimony and be sanctified. The prayer of Christ in John 17 really does not seem to have anything to do with the body of Christ--those that have been baptized by the Holy Spirit into Christ and are no longer Jew or Gentile.....
Ephesians 2:
[11] Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
[12] That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
[13] But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
[14] For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
[15] Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
[16] And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
[17] And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh
.

The Gentiles were ".....in the flesh....without Christ....being aliens....strangers....having no hope...without God IN THE WORLD..." The Ephesians that had been reconciled to God in one body were NOT even people that Christ prayed for in John 17.

John 17: "I pray not for the world "

Ephesians 2: "ye were...without God in the world "

This shows how unconnected John 17 is to the body of Christ. 
Being in Christ by keeping His commandments and living in obedience to Him is much different than being in the BODY OF CHRIST by being baptized by the Spirit through the faith of the operation of God being joined together with Him in one spirit......
1 Corinthians 6:
[15] Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.
[16] What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
[17] But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit
.

1 Corinthians 12:
[12] For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
[13] For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
[14] For the body is not one member, but many
.

Colossians 2:
[10] And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
[11] In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
[12] Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead
.

Ephesians 2:
[5] Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
[6] And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus
:

Being "in Christ" means you are abiding and living by Christ and His commandments (John 6:56-57, 1 John 3:24). Being "in the church which is His body" (Eph. 1:23) means you have been baptized by the Spirit into Christ and crucified, buried, risen, and seated with Christ--a member of His body. "
Until Christ made known the revelation of the mystery to Paul, nobody knew about the "one new man" where there is neither Jew nor Greek (and being "under grace" rather than "under the law"). Nobody knew that Israel had fallen and that the Kingdom would not be restored to Israel until the "fulness of the Gentiles be come in". 

After the cross the 12 apostles continued to offer the Kingdom of Heaven to Israel and told them that their sins would be blotted out at the 2nd Coming, not by believing the gospel of the grace of God. The events in early Acts were according to prophecy about the restoration of Israel. 
The 12 apostles expect the Kingdom to be restored to Israel..... 
Acts 1:6-7  When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.
The 12 apostles go on to carry out Old Testament prophecy concerning the Tribulation and the 2nd Coming of Christ.
Acts 2:14-21 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words: For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day. But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy: And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke: The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come: And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Note that the tongues/signs mean that you are dealing with Israel. Israel is the one that requires a sign (1 Cor. 1:22, 14:22) and unless the Jews see signs they will not believe (John 4:48). In Acts 3 we see Peter plainly declare that he is fulfilling Old Testament prophecy and speaking to Israel about them having their sins blotted out at the 2nd Coming of Christ--not by believing the gospel.
Acts 3:19-25 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began. For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you. And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people. Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days. Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed.
 
Had the Body of Christ begun in Acts 2 or Acts 3? No, because the Body of Christ had their sins taken away when they believed the gospel and do not have to wait until the 2nd Coming of Christ.
Colossians 2:
[10] And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
[11] In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
[12] Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
[13] And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses
;

Romans 5:
[6] For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
[7] For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.
[8] But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
[9] Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
[10] For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.
[11] And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement
.

Israel is the one that has to wait for their sins to be blotted out at the 2nd Coming, not the Body of Christ.

Jeremiah 31:
[31] Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
[32] Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
[33] But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
[34] And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD; for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more
.

Jeremiah 32:
[36] And now therefore thus saith the LORD, the God of Israel, concerning this city, whereof ye say, It shall be delivered into the hand of the king of Babylon by the sword, and by the famine, and by the pestilence;
[37] Behold, I will gather them out of all countries, whither I have driven them in mine anger, and in my fury, and in great wrath; and I will bring them again unto this place, and I will cause them to dwell safely:
[38] And they shall be my people, and I will be their God:
[39] And I will give them one heart, and one way, that they may fear me for ever, for the good of them, and of their children after them:
[40] And I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from them, to do them good; but I will put my fear in their hearts, that they shall not depart from me.
[41] Yea, I will rejoice over them to do them good, and I will plant them in this land assuredly with my whole heart and with my whole soul.
[42] For thus saith the LORD; Like as I have brought all this great evil upon this people, so will I bring upon them all the good that I have promised them
.

Jeremiah 33:
[4] For thus saith the LORD, the God of Israel, concerning the houses of this city, and concerning the houses of the kings of Judah, which are thrown down by the mounts, and by the sword;
[5] They come to fight with the Chaldeans, but it is fill them with the dead bodies of men, whom I have slain in mine anger and in my fury, and for all whose wickedness I have hid my face from this city.
[6] Behold, I will bring it health and cure, and I will cure them, and will reveal unto them the abundance of peace and truth.
[7] And I will cause the captivity of Judah and the captivity of Israel to return, and will build them, as at the first.
[8] And I will cleanse them from all their iniquity, whereby they have sinned against me; and I will pardon all their iniquities, whereby they have sinned, and whereby they have transgressed against me.
[9] And it shall be to me a name of joy, a praise and an honour before all the nations of the earth, which shall hear all the good that I do unto them: and they shall fear and tremble for all the goodness and for all the prosperity that I procure unto it.
[10] Thus saith the LORD; Again there shall be heard in this place, which ye say shall be desolate without man and without beast, even in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem, that are desolate, without man, and without inhabitant, and without beast,
[11] The voice of joy, and the voice of gladness, the voice of the bridegroom, and the voice of the bride, the voice of them that shall say, Praise the LORD of hosts: for the LORD is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: and of them that shall bring the sacrifice of praise into the house of the LORD. For I will cause to return the captivity of the land, as at the first, saith the LORD.
[12] Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Again in this place, which is desolate without man and without beast, and in all the cities thereof, shall be an habitation of shepherds causing their flocks to lie down.
[13] In the cities of the mountains, in the cities of the vale, and in the cities of the south, and in the land of Benjamin, and in the places about Jerusalem, and in the cities of Judah, shall the flocks pass again under the hands of him that telleth them, saith the LORD.
[14] Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will perform that good thing which I have promised unto the house of Israel and to the house of Judah.
[15] In those days, and at that time, will I cause the Branch of righteousness to grow up unto David; and he shall execute judgment and righteousness in the land.
[16] In those days shall Judah be saved, and Jerusalem shall dwell safely: and this is the name wherewith she shall be called, The LORD our righteousness.
[17] For thus saith the LORD; David shall never want a man to sit upon the throne of the house of Israel;
[18] Neither shall the priests the Levites want a man before me to offer burnt offerings, and to kindle meat offerings, and to do sacrifice continually
.

Ezekiel 11:
[14] Again the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
[15] Son of man, thy brethren, even thy brethren, the men of thy kindred, and all the house of Israel wholly, are they unto whom the inhabitants of Jerusalem have said, Get you far from the LORD: unto us is this land given in possession.
[16] Therefore say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Although I have cast them far off among the heathen, and although I have scattered them among the countries, yet will I be to them as a little sanctuary in the countries where they shall come.
[17] Therefore say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; I will even gather you from the people, and assemble you out of the countries where ye have been scattered, and I will give you the land of Israel.
[18] And they shall come thither, and they shall take away all the detestable things thereof and all the abominations thereof from thence.
[19] And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh:
[20] That they may walk in my statutes, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God.
[21] But as for them whose heart walketh after the heart of their detestable things and their abominations, I will recompense their way upon their own heads, saith the Lord GOD
.

Ezekiel 36:
[12] Yea, I will cause men to walk upon you, even my people Israel; and they shall possess thee, and thou shalt be their inheritance, and thou shalt no more henceforth bereave them of men.
[13] Thus saith the Lord GOD; Because they say unto you, Thou land devourest up men, and hast bereaved thy nations;
[14] Therefore thou shalt devour men no more, neither bereave thy nations any more, saith the Lord GOD.
[15] Neither will I cause men to hear in thee the shame of the heathen any more, neither shalt thou bear the reproach of the people any more, neither shalt thou cause thy nations to fall any more, saith the Lord GOD.
[16] Moreover the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
[17] Son of man, when the house of Israel dwelt in their own land, they defiled it by their own way and by their doings: their way was before me as the uncleanness of a removed woman.
[18] Wherefore I poured my fury upon them for the blood that they had shed upon the land, and for their idols wherewith they had polluted it:
[19] And I scattered them among the heathen, and they were dispersed through the countries: according to their way and according to their doings I judged them.
[20] And when they entered unto the heathen, whither they went, they profaned my holy name, when they said to them, These are the people of the LORD, and are gone forth out of his land.
[21] But I had pity for mine holy name, which the house of Israel had profaned among the heathen, whither they went.
[22] Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; I do not this for your sakes, O house of Israel, but for mine holy name's sake, which ye have profaned among the heathen, whither ye went.
[23] And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I am the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes.
[24] For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land.
[25] Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
[26] A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
[27] And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.
[28] And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God.
[29] I will also save you from all your uncleannesses: and I will call for the corn, and will increase it, and lay no famine upon you.
[30] And I will multiply the fruit of the tree, and the increase of the field, that ye shall receive no more reproach of famine among the heathen.
[31] Then shall ye remember your own evil ways, and your doings that were not good, and shall lothe yourselves in your own sight for your iniquities and for your abominations.
[32] Not for your sakes do I this, saith the Lord GOD, be it known unto you: be ashamed and confounded for your own ways, O house of Israel.
[33] Thus saith the Lord GOD; In the day that I shall have cleansed you from all your iniquities I will also cause you to dwell in the cities, and the wastes shall be builded.
[34] And the desolate land shall be tilled, whereas it lay desolate in the sight of all that passed by.
[35] And they shall say, This land that was desolate is become like the garden of Eden; and the waste and desolate and ruined cities are become fenced, and are inhabited.
[36] Then the heathen that are left round about you shall know that I the LORD build the ruined places, and plant that that was desolate: I the LORD have spoken it, and I will do it.
[37] Thus saith the Lord GOD; I will yet for this be inquired of by the house of Israel, to do it for them; I will increase them with men like a flock.
[38] As the holy flock, as the flock of Jerusalem in her solemn feasts; so shall the waste cities be filled with flocks of men: and they shall know that I am the LORD
.

Not only that, but whe Peter said "Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days. Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers" could he have been speaking to or about the Body of Christ? NO! 

Christ revealed to Paul that we are living in a mystery age and that Peter's message of the redemption of Israel has been postponed! 

Romans 11:25-27 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.
Rather than offering the Kingdom to Israel like Peter did, Paul preached that Israel had fallen and that God was now administering a different dispensation.
Romans 11:11-15 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy. Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness? For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office: If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them. For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?
Ephesians 3:
[1] For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,
[2] If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to youward:
[3] How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
[4] Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
[5] Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
[6] That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:
[7] Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.
[8] Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;
[9] And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ
:

Colossians 1:24-27 Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church: Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:
Gentiles being saved apart from Israel's prophetic Kingdom program was a mystery--prophecy says that the Gentiles will be blessed through Israel's rise (Isa. 60-61, Zech. 8), not their fall (Rom. 11:11-15, 30-32). 

PETER TO ISRAEL: "Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days. Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers"

PAUL TO THE BODY OF CHRIST:  "Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world: But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:"

PETER TO ISRAEL: "But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel", "Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days", "Of which salvation the prophets have inquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you", "But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:"

PAUL TO THE BODY OF CHRIST: "For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in", "But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory", "Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God.", " Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself", "If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to youward: How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)", "This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church", "Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:", "Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,", "And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:"

Now there is not a verse that says "the body of Christ began with Paul", but the evidence shows that it DID. The Bible says that it was a mystery revealed to Paul and Paul is the only one that mentions it in his epistles. We know that the Body of Christ was not present in Acts 2 or Acts 3, and in Acts 10 Peter still thought he was under the law and could not eat unclean animals or go into a Gentiles home (Acts 10:10-28). However, God showed Peter that He was no respecter of persons directly AFTER Paul got saved in Acts 9. All the evidence points to Paul as the first member of the Body of Christ. Not that it matters, so long as we at least recognize that Christ made Paul our apostle and pattern for this dispensation (Rom. 11:13, Eph. 3:1-9, 1 Tim. 1:11-16).

I will consider one more teaching that some people say refutes the idea that Paul was the first member of the Body of Christ. In Acts 9 Christ said "Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?". Some people say that since Paul was not literally persecuting Christ Himself that He must have meant that Paul was persecuting Him by persecuting His Body. However, there is a major flaw with that argument.

After the Tribulation and 2nd Coming of Christ, the Lord will gather the nations and judge them based on how they treated Israel during the Tribulation. Here is how they are judged.....

Matthew 25:
[34] Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
[35] For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
[36] Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
[37] Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
[38] When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
[39] Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
[40] And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
[41] Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
[42] For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
[43] I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
[44] Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
[45] Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
[46] And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal
.

These are Gentile nations being judged for how they treated ISRAEL, not the Body of Christ. Likewise Christ was asking Paul why he was persecuting His brethren, the Jews. 

--Eli Caldwell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your questions or comments welcome.