Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Acts 26:15-20 with 1 Corinthians 1:12-21. Debunking baptismal regeneration

Debunking baptismal regeneration 

Acts 26:
[15] And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest.
[16] But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee;
[17] Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee,
[18] To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
[19] Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision:
[20] But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance
.
 
1 Corinthians 1:
[12] Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
[13] Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
[14] I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
[15] Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.
[16] And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.
[17] For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
[18] For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
[19] For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
[20] Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
[21] For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
.

Here we have one of the greatest proofs that water baptism has nothing to do with the gospel of the grace of God. (note I said "gospel of the grace of God" and not "gospel of the kingdom"--the Campbellites get'em mixed up)

WHAT WAS PAUL SENT TO DO? : "I send thee, To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins"

WHAT WAS PAUL SENT NOT TO DO? : "For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect."


1.) So does water baptism open your eyes? No.

The Spirit does that with the word of God (Eph. 6:17, 1 Cor. 2:10-14, Heb. 4:12-13)


2.) So does water baptism turn you from darkness unto light? No.

God does that when you believe (Col. 1:13-14, John 3:14-19)


3.) So does water baptism turn you from the power of Satan unto God? No.

It is the preaching of the cross, 1 Corinthians 1:18 "For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God"


4.) So does water baptism make you receive the forgiveness of sins? No.

ANSWER: Acts 13:38-39 Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins: And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.


5.) So is water baptism a work meet repentance? No.

It use to be under the gospel of the Kingdom (Matt. 3:6), but now we only have one baptism and it is done by the Holy Spirit (Col. 2:10-12, 1 Cor. 12:12-14, Eph. 4:1-6, 1 Cor. 1:17).

--Eli Caldwell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your questions or comments welcome.