Saturday, November 22, 2014

John 17:6-26--"in Christ"

​John 17:6-26 has often been used as a proof text for crossers and 2ers to prove that folks were "in Christ" after the cross and that it did not begin with Paul. However, that is a straw man argument. Nobody ever said that people were not "in Christ" at Acts 2 or at the cross. People were "in Christ" during the gospels.

I do not believe that the people that use John 17 as their proof text really know what being "in Christ" means. Christ defines the term in John 6:56-57.

John 6:
[56] He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.
[57] As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me
.

In John 6 Christ likens living in obedience to Him as "eating" His flesh and "drinking" His blood (living by Him). Just as Christ lived in total obedience to the Father, even so His disciples should live by Him. When a person does this, they are in Christ (v.56). Christ disciples separated themselves from the world and became followers of Christ. They were living by His words and obeying His teaching....they were "in Christ" according to the definition.

This is plainer stated in 1 John 3:24....

1 John 3:24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Christ taught on this in John 15, but instead of likening Himself to meat and drink, He likens Himself to a vine.

John 15:
[1] I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
[2] Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
[3] Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
[4] Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
[5] I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
[6] If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned
.

This teaching of being "in Christ" is about sanctification--which just so happens to be one of the subjects that Christ mentions in John 17.

John 17:
[6] I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.
[7] Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee.
[8] For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me.
[9] I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.
[10] And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them.
[11] And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
[12] While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.
[13] And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves.
[14] I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
[15] I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.
[16] They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
[17] Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
[18] As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.
[19] And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.
[20] Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
[21] That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
[22] And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
[23] I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.
[24] Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.
[25] O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me.
[26] And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them
.
 
John 17 is not about Christ reconciling all Jews and Gentiles into one body by the cross! Christ isn't even praying for the world, He is praying for His disciples that they will have a good testimony and be sanctified. The prayer of Christ in John 17 really does not seem to have anything to do with the body of Christ--those that have been baptized by the Holy Spirit into Christ and are no longer Jew or Gentile.....
 
Ephesians 2:
[11] Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
[12] That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
[13] But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
[14] For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
[15] Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
[16] And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
[17] And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh
.

The Gentiles were ".....in the flesh....without Christ....being aliens....strangers....having no hope...without God IN THE WORLD..." The Ephesians that had been reconciled to God in one body were NOT even people that Christ prayed for in John 17.

John 17: "I pray not for the world "

Ephesians 2: "ye were...without God in the world "

This shows how unconnected John 17 is to the body of Christ. 
 
Being in Christ by keeping His commandments and living in obedience to Him is much different than being in the BODY OF CHRIST by being baptized by the Spirit through the faith of the operation of God being joined together with Him in one spirit......
 
1 Corinthians 6:
[15] Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.
[16] What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
[17] But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit
.

1 Corinthians 12:
[12] For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
[13] For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
[14] For the body is not one member, but many
.
 
Colossians 2:
[10] And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
[11] In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
[12] Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead
.
 
Ephesians 2:
[5] Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
[6] And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus
:

Being "in Christ" means you are abiding and living by Christ and His commandments (John 6:56-57, 1 John 3:24). Being "in the church which is His body" (Eph. 1:23) means you have been baptized by the Spirit into Christ and crucified, buried, risen, and seated with Christ--a member of His body.
 
 --Eli "Hoss" Caldwell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your questions or comments welcome.